For my Meet Mat Assignment my theme was the character being a lost astronaut.
Character Background:
My character is a futuristic space exploration robot named ASTRA-07. The robot has landed on an unknown planet and has lost its communication signal, which is represented through the “NO SIGNAL” display on its face. I used a bright orange, pink, purple, and blue color palette to create a stylized futuristic appearance. The glowing elements, warning symbols, barcode, robot name, scratches, and details on the base help tell the story of a robot exploring an unfamiliar planet. It keeps getting warned that its on a foreign land unfamiliar to it and is slowing starting to face damages in the head and base of its body because of it.
Tools and Techniques:
I used Adobe Substance 3D Painter to texture the character. There are separate texture sets for the head, body, and base and I used a combination of smart materials, fill layers, paint layers, masks, and generators. I added different materials and surface details to create variation between the different parts of the robot.
For the head, I created the dark metal display screen and added custom details such as the ASTRA-07 name, barcode, symbols, and “NO SIGNAL” interface. I also added scratches, dirt, roughness variation, and edge details to make the character feel slightly worn from its journey and damages in the new unknown environment.
For the body and base, I used fill layers, masks, ambient occlusion, and surface details to add material variation and wear. I also used emissive materials to create the glowing blue and pink futuristic elements. I gave body lines to define the character more.





No comments:
Post a Comment